male pelvic health Physiotherapy
What does Physiotherapy look like in the World of Men’s Pelvic Health?
A Pelvic Health Physiotherapist has intricate knowledge about the inner workingsof a male pelvis. This includes all the anatomical features and physiological processes involved in normal sexual, bowel, bladder and prostate function.
When would you see a Physical Therapist who specializes in Male Pelvic Health?
If you are experiencing any of the following:
- Pelvic Pain (this includes in the back of the pelvis such as sacroiliac joint or coccyx pain + in the front such as pain directly in the genital area or the groin)
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction (Perhaps following surgical intervention for prostate cancer or other prostate surgery, but not necessarily!)
- Bladder Issues
- Your Specialist (Urologist) refers you to a Pelvic Health Physical Therapist for your specific condition.
What will my Male Pelvic Health Assessment at Physiosphere look like?
- You will be sent an INTAKE PACKAGE of forms (electronically) so that you can detail all of the
aspects of your specific problem.
- Both your Assessment/Treatment sessions will occur in a well-appointed, completely
private treatment room. Your privacy is of upmost importance to us.
- As with Orthopaedic/Sports Physiotherapy Assessments certain tests will be performed to assess the mobility/integrity of joints and muscles. In the pelvis a portion of the assessment is performed internally, as some of these structures cannot be palpated
externally. You can discuss this in greater depth with your therapist and of course it is not mandatory.
- A treatment plan consisting of a multitude of strategies will be devised based on your specific condition. Of course, we always use the
latest evidence-based methods to assess, diagnose and treat your injury/condition.